An update on your American Legion Texas Boys State:
1. Statesmen. We will have about 700 Delegates for this first-ever virtual experience and as we celebrate our 80th year. Amazing!
2. National-Level Media. It is wonderful to see our Texas be cutting-edge, tackling this tough mission, and leading the way. Please see the National American Legion article referencing your Texas program. “Some Boys State Programs Going Virtual in Wake of Pandemic” Click here: https://www.legion.org/boysnation/249069/some-boys-state-programs-going-virtual-wake-pandemic
3. Thank You. Thank you to the Posts for selecting amazing young men to participate in this historic program. We know it has been challenging, given COVID, to work your processes. But our many thanks for your dedication to your Statesmen and this program that does real, actual good.
4. The Team. It is hard to describe the thousands of collective volunteer hours expended to make this program what it is, particularly this year as we pivoted to create a hugely meaningful virtual experience. So proud of the Executive Team, so please permit me to sing their praises publicly here. They are absolutely extraordinary. There is simply no way this pivot could have been accomplished without the blood, sweat, and muddy-boots work of this amazingly innovative crew. I am in awe.
5. Schedule. Take a gander at the schedule at the following link to see how robust the program is. In-depth sessions . . . functional Congress . . . a college fair . . . many distinguished guest speakers . . . virtual visit to the Capitol . . . and much more. This is still very much your meaningful and highly-respected Texas Boys State, just in a different way given the situation across our globe. https://www.texasboysstate.com/schedule
6. Packets. Early last week, 700+ packets were mailed to the Statesmen. Excitement is building as they received the packages across the State last week containing: (1) Boys State shirts that they must wear during the program when they are on screen; (2) a printed manual; (3) name badge & lanyard; and (4) a few other items. Crisp, professional, sharp.
7. Post 76. Thank you to Post 76 for hosting our packet packing party over the Memorial Day weekend. We are thankful for the space to be able to spread out and the central location. A few photos attached of our masked operation!
8. You Are Invited. We would love to have you join us for the two events listed below. You can virtually observe via a program called WebEx. On the day of the events, please click on the link below and you will then see a specific link to the sessions. The specific links to the specific sessions will not be visible until the day of the events (Thursday 11 June). So, if you wish to join, please go to the specific page listed below on Thursday 11 June. We would love to have you!
a. Thursday, 11 June, 11:15 AM. Keynote address by General Mike Hagee, former Commandant, U.S. Marine Corps. Please be logged-in by 11:10 AM.
b. Thursday, 11 June, 7:00 PM. General Assembly. Legion Night. Please be logged-in by 6:55 PM.
c. Website to visit on Thursday: https://www.texasboysstate.com/2020 (at this link is where you will find the specific links to the sessions you are invited to, but the links won’t be visible until Thursday).
9. Online Store. We are nearing the final stages in being able to launch, for the first time ever, an online store! Great goodness will come from being able to leverage technology to sell as much swag as possible to further benefit the program.
10. For more information overall, and to keep track of the excitement, visit here: https://www.texasboysstate.com/
Have a great day.
Casey Z. Thomas
Chairman, American Legion Texas Boys State